Sunday, March 27, 2011

Mihyar al Daylami - possibly my favorite classical poet ever

As not to end my weekend on a cynical note, before I go back to being a scientist,  this is one of my favorite poets that  we are not  taught in school, Mihyar al Daylami and possibly the best verses of praise  in  a woman 

قد قنعنا أن نرقبَ الأحلاما           لو أذنتم لمقلة ٍ أن تناما
لا أحلّ الفراقَ من رشإٍ في           كم أحلَّت نواه نفسا حراما
صار حظي من بعده عشق ذكرا    ه إلى أن عشقتُ فيه الملاما


translation (but it is so much better in arabic!)
I shall find contentment
Awaiting the passage of a dream
Should you give consent
For my eyelids to fall asleep

My separation from Rasha2 (Gazelle)
Did not create within me
As many forbidden breaths,
As the mere intent did make

The only fortune I held thereafter
Was so confined to the loving of her memory
That I even fell in love
 -- with reproach






 
 
 

No comments: