Wednesday, March 30, 2011

From Mahmood Darwish's Edward Said homage, seems pertinent to many nowadays


These are excerpts from a translation I did for the poem (full poem in my translations page on the right)

...
“And what of identity?”
“Nothing but self-defense
Identity is the child of birth
Yet, in the end, is the creativity
Of our own self
There is no inheritance of a past
I am the manifold
Within, is my ever renewing without
But I still belong to the victim’s question
Had I not been from there,
I would have trained my heart to raise,
-over there
The deer of metaphor
So carry your homeland
Wherever you may go-
And be a narcissist if you must!”

....

He loves a land and leaves it behind
“Neither he, nor I
But a reader wondering
What poetry might say amidst catastrophe
Blood
and Blood
and Blood
in your Homeland
In my name, in your name,
In the almond flower, in a banana’s peel
In an enfant’s milk
In light and in shadow
In the grain of wheat, in the salt jar/
Skilled snipers who always hit their target
Blood
And Blood
And Blood
This land is too small
for the blood of its children
Who stand as offering at the doorsteps of resurrection
Is this land truly blessed or is it anointed
With Blood
And Blood
And Blood
Neither sand nor prayer can dry this blood
Justice in the pages of the holy book
Isn’t enough for the martyrs
To enjoy the liberty of walking atop the clouds.
Blood in the day,
Blood in the dark
Blood in the words
He says: The poem may play host to defeat,
A ray of light glittering in the heart of a Guitar
A messiah on a horse wounded
by the beauty of metaphor.
The beautiful is nothing but the presence
Of reality in the form!

No comments: